Thursday, July 23, 2009

Next up...an actual plan!

I was initially tempted to just write back to Amanda's post in the comment box, but there is waaaayyyy too much to say!

First off, I think you've done a great job of consulting reality and our goals/interests into something solid. I had been playing with the idea of our group being/forming a "hub" but I didn't know in what way that could materialize.

I was very sad and shocked to hear that Jumpstart was being canceled. One could argue that of all programs UR students participated in, it made the most solid impact on the actual lives of children due to the fact that it was a huge commitment on the part of students (more so that many of the disjointed efforts out there). What the hell are people in our world thinking? I'm about to get political here, so I will stop.

Unfortunate as that may be, I completely see the opportunity here that you see, Amanda. There WILL be tons of people looking for other efforts to be a part of. And there needs to be some coordination to make that happen.

About Tara's position: if we re-created the Ed. Alliance, could we also create a student position that would be for credit or paid? Or it could be co-run....whatever allows students to feel it worthy and necessary to dedicate more time to it. It could be useful to incoroporate into any major as a for credit internship...just a thought.

I LOVE the idea about the course. There was a course with former Dean Asbury that emphasized civic engagement--it was 2 credits. I don't know if that exists, but Mollie's idea sounds similar.

The Main Idea
I love it. It is concrete, with a tangible goal. It allows for collaboration. We could get the website going, but it eventually could become a place for all things tutoring/ed related. It could be a meeting place (social networking of sorts) for these groups. Rather than a attempting to create a physical space (I know we sort of gave that up a while ago anyway) we are creating a space for ideas and collaboration. That is the capacity we have as students who know how to plan, organize, and research. If planning events or meetings is a bi-product of that effort to unify, so be it.

I am aware of some efforts right now to link up local colleges, partially on behalf of a friend of mine. I will look into what's going on with that.

I like that there is an opportunity in this slightly augmented form of our orginal idea for us all to carve out new roles. There is the website aspect, networking, etc.

I will also start a little research regarding what types of resources are available for volunteers in the City Schools. Are there ANY websites? Is there any info online?

Back to the spelling bee idea...I think the reason it stood out in my mind so much was that it seemed like a good EFFECT of collaboration. For example, once groups are already unified, they need things to do together that reinforce their "group-ness." If people get in their head that each year all the the Ed. groups plan a fundraiser, that will reinforce the fact that they are part of something--like a rallying point...But I think what I realize now is that no large fundraising event can happen UNTIL these groups unite in the first place. Then we could work with them to determine appropriate fundraising events that unite university and community. But it wouldn't be Step 1--it would be closer to a final step. Did that make sense?

2 comments:

Andrew said...

I really like the social networking idea Amanda. Social networking is such a hot topic thing right now, so I think it's something that could get picked up really easily. The idea of placing links to research, articles, etc etc also helps us tie back in to that idea of creating a unified body of "publishable" work. It might not be a document that we have in our hands, but who uses paper nowadays anyway?!

I have some weird attraction to the spelling bee, though. Maybe it could just be a small event that is related to our overall goal, but not as large of a thing as maybe Alicia had originally imagined. I just like spelling I think.

Alicia O. said...

Andrew, if you are still interested we should talk to the 19th ward guy about it. I'll email him and see if we can be involved. I like spelling too.

social networking within UR could eventually be compatible with collaborations with other colleges and univs. in the area, too!