Here is the Message that I sent to Mr. Melnick:
have recently started to work on my Kauffman Entreprenurial Year project more aggressively, as we talked about before Mr. Melnick. We are hoping to gather information from local universities and community foundations to see what type of tutoring work they are doing. In some form we plan on compiling all of this information along with some information/research on tutoring theory. The group and I have been thinking of developing some type of web site which may include other multimedia sources, devoted to bringing to light some of the accomplishments of K -12 students from the Rochester area in order to counter the mass of negative attention that they more regularly receive. I was wondering if you happened to know of any recourses that would be useful for me to read in order to increase my repertoire of education/tutoring/ alternative learning works with value and substance. Since I have been to your home, I know that you have hundreds of sources- so when you have some time I would love to hear about some of your favorites.
This is his first in a series of responses:
Tutoring (for your project): Please do not confuse the need for content explanation (tutoring) with needing to be taught in a different manner/using a different process. One is "content" (the 1st), the other is "process" (i.e. how one learns vs. what one learns...). My bias is that many groups who are under served under perform due to a failed "process," often pointed to (and over-politicized), such as girls, minority groups, etc.) is NOT about the content...see what you think!
Please ask me for any clarification you might desire. And BY THE WAY, check out an article I wrote (on my website, entitled "The Politics of Ability," which can be found on: www.InYourRightMind.com
Regarding "learning styles," there are MANY, MANY ways to describe this...my article focuses on right brain/left brain -right handed/left-handed learners, but this encompasses visual vs. auditory learners, written vs. aural expression, experiential vs. passive learning...and there are more ways of describing this same phenomena, which I will try to reference for you soon.
--
I have spent some time looking around on his site- and have read the posts. I have no yet read the essays but I am hoping to do so in the coming week. ...These are just some things to keep in mind as we narrow our focus. Comments encouraged.....
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment